Ads Here

Monday, December 9, 2019

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HOW CONFLICTS GENERATE



       CONFLICT  UPRISING
As I walked into the youth center, I noticed some of my friends dancing at one end of the room. What I saw made my heart skip a beat. My close friend James was dancing to a cool music with Marceline. I had gone out with Marceline for three week-ends in a row. I had high hopes that we would continue to see each other-and James knew that.
    I stood inside the doorway watching. I felt hurt and angry-with both of them. How could my friend do this to me? How could James? As the feelings grew in me, many thoughts went through my mind. Part of me wanted to confront both of them while the other part wanted to run back outside. Instead I waited until the music stopped. As soon as James was alone, I went closer and invited  him for a talk. My situation was an indication of how a conflict generates.
  WHAT IS A CONFLICT?
A conflict is a struggle between people who disagree. The struggle may be verbal, physical, or both. Conflicts range from little disagreements between friends to violent battles between gangs or armies. Conflicts are not unusual.  Everybody argues with someone from time to time. In principle, conflicts are not bad. Through them, people settle disagreements and move towards constructive action. In this way, there is positive force in people’s lives. When conflicts arise for the wrong reasons and when they are not well handled, they are an unwelcome part of life.
WHY CONFLICTS OCCUR.
  Some conflicts are so trivial that people do not even know how they began. Others have very apparent causes. What creates conflict for one person might not be the same for someone else. In general, conflicts arise from circumstances notably, situational factors, personal differences, and power struggles.
i)                    Situational factors: Any situation that dissatisfies people can stir conflict. Such situations occur commonly during daily life. I always ate launch with my wife at home. When she does not show up for the third time in a week, I am upset. When I saw her eating with her sister the next day, I became even more upset. This was a situation that was developing that could result in a conflict between us.
ii)                   Personal differences: Personality differences are often at the root of conflict. Values can clash when people express them. If tolerance for differences is low, conflict is even more likely. You need to be very sensitive to feelings of people around you in order to speak and act in ways that do not hurt them.
iii)                 Power Struggles: When people feel a need to be in control, a power struggle may result. This too can spur conflict. When a boss routinely assigns what he avoids to a subordinate, that subordinate may start wanting to do something about it especially if the boss's position of leadership is an elective one.
In each of the circumstances above and many others, preventing conflicts is not the issue. Such conflicts are part of life. The extend to which a conflict goes, depends on your response to it from the beginning. Conflicts have to be handled appropriately, because when they aren’t, individuals and society pay a heavy price.


        
            

No comments:

Post a Comment